Volunteering Illawarra’s vision is to be a regional centre of excellence that promotes volunteering and the value of volunteers to the community. Our primary activity is the operation of a regional volunteer resource centre across the Wollongong, Shellharbour and Kiama Local Government Areas.
We also provide training services in the Shoalhaven for managers, staff, volunteers and Management Committee Members.
Our mission is:
- To promote volunteering to local communities
- To provide recruitment and referral services for volunteers
- To provide Corporate Volunteering Opportunities to business and organisation who embrace the National Governments Corporate Social Responsibility platform
- To provide training and support for volunteers, including management committee volunteers
- To assist non-profit organisations in need of volunteers with referrals, education, information and/or resources
- To provide a range of choices of volunteer work across a range of different organisations for volunteers
- To adhere to the Volunteering Australia “Principles of Volunteering”, Definition of Formal Volunteering and the National Volunteering Standards
Funding and Management
Volunteering Illawarra is a community service auspiced by Wollongong City Council, within the Library & Community Services Division. We are funded by grants from from both the New South Wales and Federal Government Departments.
Volunteering Illawarra employs a team of four (4) staff and seven (7) volunteers. Staff include a coordinator, administration officer, referral officer and community development worker.
The office is staffed Monday to Thursday, from 9am to 4.30pm.
Our team of volunteers conduct interviews with potential volunteers, and are trained to assist people to find the right volunteering opportunity. Interviews are conducted Monday to Thursday between 9.30am and 3pm.